Thursday, May 5, 2011

Maryland Crab Stuffed Mushrooms


Happy Cinco De Mayo! Obviously, I'm a terrible blogger and totally forgot about it, so I don't have a Mexican fiesta planned for you today. I'll go sit in blogger time-out for a few minutes.

In the meantime, if you're still with me, you can read about something else totally delicious, if you're ok with it not being fiesta-themed!

In my previous post, I recounted our recent crab feast and what I did with a portion of the crab meat collected from our leftover crabs. While the soup used the claw meat and some of the smaller pieces of crab I collected, I saved a half pound of the best, largest chunks of meat for this next dish. I also mentioned before how I’m a crabcake snob, so I had thought about making my own with the meat I had set aside. My husband, however, doesn’t enjoy them, so I wanted to find something that we could both appreciate and eat. How about stuffing what is essentially a mini-crabcake into a baby bella mushroom? Score.


The recipe itself is straightforward enough and, again, it’s off the Cantler’s website. I soon found out, however that mushrooms are tricky little devils to balance. After realizing that no amount of steady-handedness would keep my mushrooms from tipping over onto my baking sheet, I devised a little plan to make ‘holders’ for each musroom using tinfoil. Smart, right? Well, yes and no. On some of the mushrooms, it worked fabulously. On others, they were still teetering dangerously, threatening to fall off the sheet at any moment. I pressed those down a little harder onto the foil, thinking that would solve my problems, opened the oven door and proceeded to tranfer the baking sheet from my countertop to the oven. I saw one mushroom on the corner of my pan begin to wobble. Which meant, instinctively, I cocked my wrist the opposite direction in an attempt to steady the dancing mushroom. While I successfully kept that mushroom on it’s stand, I watched, as if in slow motion, another mushroom on the other side tilt off it’s holder, roll off the baking pan and fall, splat, right onto the oven door. Crab stuffing side down.


You could hear the sizzle as soon as it made contact. So I did what any sane person would do, I scooped it all back up and shoved it back into the mushroom and put it on the pan again to bake. (And I made sure I ate that mushroom when it came time to serve!) It took everything I had not to lick up the few pieces stuck to the oven door, it was heartbreaking to have to wipe it up and toss those pieces out.


A few other mushrooms did tip over as well, but at least they stayed on the baking sheet. They tasted fantastic, but they sure weren’t the prettiest things to come out of my kitchen. That’s ok, I’ll eat them blindfolded if I have to, the taste was out of this world, and the gigantic pieces of crabmeat were so delicious, it made me forget about the pieces still stuck to my kitchen towel from cleaning up my oven.


As a note on this recipe, I didn’t make the topping because I didn’t want that much mayonnaise on my crabmeat, but I have included it in case that appeals to you. I did sprinkle with the paprika and Old Bay once they came out of the oven, though.


Maryland Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Adapted from Cantler's (again!)

Ingredients
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
1/2 pound Maryland backfin crab meat
3 Tbsp mayonnaise (i used Miracle Whip)
1 egg white
1 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
pinch ginger
1 tablespoons cracker meal
12 fresh mushrooms (about 2-3 inches in diameter)
For the Topping:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 egg white
1/8 teaspoon seafood seasoning (aka old bay)
2 dashes liquid hot pepper
paprika, for sprinkling

Directions
Remove cartilage from crab meat, being careful not to break crab lumps. Place crab meat in large bowl and set aside.

In small bowl mix mayonnaise, egg white, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, celery salt, pepper, paprika and ginger.

Pour sauce over crab meat and mix gently, but thoroughly. Carefully mix in cracker meal.

Wash and remove stems from mushrooms.

Place mushrooms in a baking pan stem side up and fill each mushroom with about 2 tablespoons crab mixture.

Place in a 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until crab meat mixture begins to brown.

If you choose to make the topping:
Mix together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, egg white, seafood seasoning and liquid hot pepper sauce.

Spread a generous amount of topping over each mushroom.
Sprinkle with paprika and bake in 375 degree oven until the topping becomes a light brown color, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.

4 comments:

@West5thStreet said...

WOW! I CAN'T wait to make these! Thanks for the recipe!

Three-Cookies said...

Two crab posts in a row. Are they in season? Unfortunately I don't eat crabs so I won't say it sounds delicious but I would happily substitute fish:)

Baking Ribbons said...

We love crab and mushrooms so this will be on our list of recipes to try!

Caroline said...

Constructive Deconstruction - I do hope you make these, they are divine!

Three-Cookies - Crab is not in season, unfortunately, but as an East Coast-transplant to Chicago, I have to get my crab-fix every so often - like now!

Baking Ribbons - I had never even thought of pairing the two together before these, and now I wonder how my love of crabmeat and my love of mushrooms never intersected before!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...